SASO's Activities at Regional, Arab and International Levels
SASO performs a prominent role at the regional, Arab and international levels, contributing and participating in the memberships of commissions and organizations related to standardization and quality, which are as follows:
First: Gulf Activity
Gulf Standardization Organization (GSO):
SASO is a member in the Gulf Standardization Organization, it attends its meetings, participates in preparing projects of GSO's standards that SASO is entrusted with, studies and expresses its opinion about projects of other GCC countries, and formulates and translatesthese projects for various industrial sectors. Also, SASO responds to any technical inquiries coming from GCC countries.
Second: Arab Activity
Arab Industrial Development and Mining Organization (AIDMO):
SASO participates in the membership of the organization and in its various technical committees, especially in the High Consultative Standardization Committee. SASO also manages the Technical Secretariat of 7 Arab Committees which are as follows:
- Aluminum Products
- Food Products
- Electrotechnical Safety Requirements
- Cars, Vehicles and their Accessories
- Building Code
SASO participates as an active member in 22 Arab committees and as an observer member in 4 technical committees.
Third: International Activity
1. International Organization for Standardization (ISO):
ISO was established in 1946. Its headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland. SASO was elected to be a member in the Board of ISO for 4 terms: 1979 – 1981, 1983 – 1985, 2001 – 2002 and lastly 2012 – 2013. SASO also participates in ISO as an active member in 22 technical committees and sub-committees and in 3 technical committees of policy development committees, in addition to being an observer member in 137 technical committees.
2. International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML):
OIML was established in 1958 in Paris, France. It is an international organization that documents and provides everything related to legal metrology. SASO has been a member in this organization since 1991. SASO receives the organization's issues, mails, studies and votes on its projects of recommendations. Also, SASO uses these recommendations as a main reference when preparing projects of Saudi standards. SASO also attends its meetings.
3. International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC):
IEC was established in 1906. Its headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland. It is the organization that is responsible of preparing and issuing standards in the fields of electricity, electronics and their related technologies. SASO joined IEC as a member in 1998. SASO uses standards issued by the IEC as a main reference when preparing projects of Saudi standards. SASO also attends its meetings.
Technical Cooperation Agreements and Programs and Memoranda of UnderstandingList of technical cooperation programs and memoranda of understanding, which SASO has signed with different Standardization bodies, and other involved bodies:
- Algerian Institute of Standardization (IANOR), dated 02/8/1439 Corresponding 18/4/2018.
- The Standards and Quality Agency in the Republic of Cameroon (ANOR), dated 17/6/1439 Corresponding 05/3/2018.
- Directorate of Standardization and Quality Promotion Ministry of Commerce, Industry, Crafts and Tourism (DNPO), dated 11/2/1439 Corresponding 01/11/2017.
- Korea Testing Laboratory(KTL), dated 02/6/1438 Corresponding 01/3/2017.
- Standardization Administration of China (SAC), dated 27/11/1437 Corresponding 30/08/2016.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), dated 25/06/1437 Corresponding 03/04/2016.
- Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI), dated 21/05/1437 Corresponding 01/03/2016.
- Mexican Ministry of Economy (SE), dated 07/04/1437 Corresponding 17/01/2016.
- Turkish Standards Institute, dated 12/09/1436 Corresponding 29/06/2015.
- Royal Scientific Society of Jordan, dated 06/08/1436 Corresponding 24/05/2015.
- Egyptian Organization for Standards and Quality, dated 23/10/1435 Corresponding 19/08/2014
- British Standards Institution (BSI) dated 21/08/1435 Corresponding 19/06/2014
- KOREA RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF STANDARDS AND SCIENCE (KRISS), dated 15/05/1435 Corresponding 16/03/2014.
- National Institute for Standardization and Industrial Property in Tunis (INNORPI), dated 14/10/1423 Corresponding 18/12/2002.
- Jordan Standards and Metrology Organization (JSMO), dated 18/04/1435 Corresponding 18/02/2014.
- The Department of Standards Malaysia (DSM), dated 25/05/1433 Corresponding 16/04/2012.
- German Commission for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies (DKE), dated 27/11/1432 Corresponding 25/10/2011.
- The Sudanese Standards and Metrology Organization (SSMO), dated 25/10/1432 Corresponding 23/09/2011.
- Spanish Association of Standardization and Certification (AENOR), dated 23/10/1432 Corresponding 21/09/2011.
- Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology in Russia (GOST R), dated 05/08/1432 Corresponding 06/07/2011.
- The European Committee for Standardization (CEN), and the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization (CENELEC), dated 16/04/1432 Corresponding 21/03/2011.
- Taiwan Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection, dated 08/04/1423 Corresponding 11/02/2011.
- EMIRATES AUTHORITY FOR STANDARDIZATION AND METROLOGY, dated 26/11/1431 Corresponding 3/11/2010.
- French Electrotechnical Committee (UTE), and Electrical Industries Certification Laboratories (LCIE).
- The Brazilian Association of Technical Standards, dated 4/10/1431 Corresponding 13/9/2010.
- Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI), dated 7/3/1431 Corresponding 21/2/2010.
- Turkish National Institute of Metrology (UME), dated 26/2/1431 Corresponding 10/2/2010.
- Egypt National Institute of Standards (NIS), dated 24/1/1431 Corresponding 10/1/2010.
- French Electric Industries alliance (GIMELEC), dated 26/3/1430 Corresponding 23/3/2009.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards (KATS), dated 15/10/1429 Corresponding 15/10/2008.
- The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), dated 29/8/1429 Corresponding 1/9/2008.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), dated 4/12/1428 Corresponding 14/12/2007.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), dated 3/12/1428 Corresponding 13/12/2007.
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL), dated 2/12/1428 Corresponding 12/12/2007.
- Copyright License Agreement with Underwriters Laboratories (UL), dated 19/01/1437 Corresponding 01/11/2015.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI), dated 8/9/1428 Corresponding 20/9/2007.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), dated 23/8/1428 Corresponding 5/9/2007.
- Yemen Standardization, Metrology and Quality Control (YSMO), dated 4/4/1423 Corresponding 15/6/2002.
- Italian Organization for Standardization (UNI), dated 29/6/1421 Corresponding 27/9/2000.